Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bibliography


Works Cited
Frost, Adam. ": O'Brien, Tim, 1946-." Literature Online biography. Web. 14 Jul 2011. <http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&xri:pqil:res_ver=0.2&r es_id=xri:lion-us&rft_id=xri:lion:rec:ref:3979>.
In this article that I discovered through the Yavapai College Library catalog under proquest I found it to be useful for my essay because it is more of a background of who Tim O’Brien is.  I felt that this would benefit my paper because it will allow me to see what his life was growing up.  This aspect of Tim will give me the opportunity to see what inspired him to write the way he did.  It will also guide me as a reader to decipher his underlying message in his literature.

O'Brien, Tim. Contemporary Literature.  Interview by Martin Naparsteck. Vol. 32, No. 1, spring, 1991. 1-11. Print. 15 Jul 2011. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/1208335>.
This was a completely different approach to this research. I felt instead of going with the basic written summary or literature analysis of Tim’s work an interview would be much more personable.  Anyone can sit down and write pages upon pages of why they think authors write what they do or who they fell gave them the inspiration to become writers, but to get an actual copy of an interview is much more understanding.  Of course the interview was done in the Spring of 1991 shortly after the publishing of his book so the information is not as current as it could be but it is a different approach on a piece of literature.

O'Brien, Tim. The Things They Carried. 2009. New York New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1990. 37-58. Print.
Of course this text is going to be included because it is the primary source for this essay J
"The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien." Contemporary Literary Criticism. Ed. Jeffrey W. Hunter. Vol. 305. Detroit: Gale, Cengage Learning, 2011. 248-322. Literature Criticism Online. Gale. Yavapai College. 14 July 2011.
A criticism is always a good way to look at an essay.  This allows us the readers to see another person’s viewpoint.  This article was very long but went into depth about a variety of aspects relating to Tim O’Brien and his reasoning for writing about war.  I feel that this source will give me a variety of angles to approach my essay on.  To critic an essay or a story you need to be very open minded as well as diverse in a variety of ways, so to have a person pick apart the who, what here, why and how of Tim it will let me pick at what they believe which in turn will give a different light of what is being written.

3 comments:

  1. Great sources! I had been looking for a long time for books that had any kind of background history on O'Brien, but was unable to find any. You did a far better job than I. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about having to have an open mind when critically analyzing a story. I also think it will be very beneficial to know a little more about Tim O'Brien, and why he chose the type of stories he writes. I found a few things on him, and I was surprised with some of the interviews he's done. I also think knowing a little about his youth will help you when it comes to why he felt so strongly about possibly dodging the draft. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sources were more about Tim O'Brien. It would be interesting to learn more about O'Brien and his work. I really enjoyed his book.

    ReplyDelete