Sunday, June 12, 2011

Readers are who they want to be

 
While reading the section by Vladimir Nabokov Good Readers and Good Writers there were questions that needed to be addressed.  Everyone has opinions on what approach good readers may have opposed to others.  Nabokov believed that what makes a good reader “is one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense…”  I must agree that these are key factors to becoming a good reader, but this should have no limits.             
An open-minded person is a great character for reading but that does not make the person that is set on their own ways a less of a reader.  Characteristics of a good reader are truly in the eye of the beholder.  I personally feel that anyone can be a good reader if that is what they desire.  Reading is a valuable asset to one’s life and is part of living day to day.  I consider myself as a good reader not because of what Nabokov feels creates this, but because of the shire enjoyment I can achieve from reading.  Being a college student there are plenty of things that I must read, some of them are enjoyable and others are mind boggling, but I know that if I approach the subject clear and open minded the material that I obtain is more appreciated and enjoyable. 
Image found @ http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/classics/russian/courses-1/nabokov

1 comment:

  1. I like your phrase when you say that a good reader should have no limits! Its a very visionary statement that most of us have been persuing it. Good thing that you consider your self as a good reader. I also agree that opinion that is all about the desire, how much time you put into it and the dedication.
    See ya bro thanks for the coments, and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete